# Stats & Ranking:
• NIRF 2019: Ranked 3rd
• Established in 1958
• 365 Acres Campus
• By Air: Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport is about 10 km from IIT Bombay.
• By Railways: Get down at Kanjurmarg, IIT-B is 1.6 Km from this point, you can get an auto-
rickshaw/bus to the campus easily from here
• Institute Fees: Rs. 1,00,000
• Hostel fees+ Mess fees: 22,000 1,37,250 Total rupees
• Other Charges: 15250
Mode of Admission:
JEE-Main followed by JEE-Advanced
Apply through JoSAA Counselling
|Aerospace Engineering – Gender Neutral||60||1182||2082|
|Aerospace Engineering – Female only||13||2634||4550|
|Chemical Engineering – Gender Neutral||114||440||1739|
|Chemical Engineering – Female only||23||2421||3952|
|Civil Engineering – Gender Neutral||114||747||3005|
|Civil Engineering – Female only||24||1841||5464|
|Computer Science Engineering – Gender Neutral||108||1||63|
|Computer Science Engineering – Female only||23||10||313|
|Electrical Engineering – Gender Neutral||62||71||296|
|Electrical Engineering – Female only||14||697||1058|
|Engineering Physics – Gender Neutral||39||347||1290|
|Engineering Physics – Female only||8||1087||2689|
|Mechanical Engineering – Gender Neutral||118||196||999|
|Mechanical Engineering – Female only||24||1880||3536|
|Metallurgical Engineering – Gender Neutral||84||2138||3501|
|Metallurgical Engineering – Female only||20||4814||6574|
IIT Bombay also offers a course in Economics from the last 3 years, and it closes around JEE Rank 1,500. This course is also offered at IIT Kanpur.
Electrical Engineering is possibly the toughest branch at IIT- Bombay
• In the field of sports, the college provides facilities like Basketball Court, Cricket
Ground, Football Ground, Swimming Pool, 6 Tennis Courts, and Volleyball court,
Squash, Hockey Ground
• Fully air-conditioned classrooms
• The library at IIT Bombay has a collection of more than 2.4 Lakh books, opens till
5-6 PM, after that you can sit in the 24×7 reading hall
• Well-maintained Central Gym which is around 5,000 sq. ft.
• Free high-speed Wi-Fi in each department, and in the Lecture Hall Complex
• This year the overall average CTC turned out to be 17.49 Lakh INR.
• Microsoft was the top recruiter offered the highest paying packages of INR 62
lakhs(domestic) and INR 1.20 Crores(International) respectively.
• NEC Japan, Microsoft, Blackstone, Worldquant were among the other high payers
with packages above 40 Lakh INR.
• For core branches like Mechanical & Chemical Engineering, packages fluctuate
around 10-12 lakhs
• In case of Metallurgical Engineering, there are almost no core companies, so
everyone goes for non-core, where packages are in the range of 15-16 lakh
• Consulting, Finance, Investment Banking firms offer around 20-25 Lakhs but you’ll
have to work 100 hrs/week in companies like BCG.
• AT Kearney has less workload and offers around Rs. 12 lakh (after tax)
• For Civil Engineering, initial pay packages are low, but with experience, package
can increase exponentially
• Top Companies like Tower Research only open for top branches like CSE, Electrical
• For a student in any core stream like Chemical Engineering, options include: Core
companies like Indian Oil, Shell (France); or a software/coding profile; or a Masters
in Management from schools like Harvard, Wharton, etc.or Management Consulting
in firms like BCG
• Entrepreneurship is also a good option at IIT Bombay, the college has the SINE
Incubator which helps startups by providing funding, and office space
• Faculty includes some legendary Professors
• However, some lectures are very slow and you’ll have to watch them at 2x speed
• All the faculty is extremely Qualified
• Some of them even have Wikipedia pages
# Course Structure:
• You have Divisions in the 1st Year, Branches are combined, for example, Chemical +
Civil, so around 300 students sit in one Lecture Hall
• From 2nd year, students of each Branch are divided into groups, for example, if
Chemical Engineering has 120 Students, 2 batches each of 60-65 students is there
• 1st year I chill scene hai, 5 days working, 2 days Lab 3 Hrs. each (Phy, Chem, ED,
• Classes per day are at max for 4 hours, each lecture around 1-1.5 hour
• Max 7 hours total study time in a day
• Time Table is staggered, for example only 1 Lecture on Friday
• Branch change is allowed after 1st Year, Cutoff for CSE is 9.75, Electrical is 9.3
• Fixed courses in 1st year, with a Department Introductory Course
• You can take Minors like CSE, Statistics, Management as well, which are reflected
in your Degree, however, Cutoff is very high to get there, for example, it is 9.6 if
you want to take Statistics as your Minor
• You can take Electives like Economics, Humanities & Psychology as well
• IIT Bombay consists of a total of 16 hostels for both boys and girls
• For 1st year, there are 3 -10 story buildings, Hostel 16: A,B, C
• Double Occupancy rooms in 1st year
• In 1st year, only freshers live in a particular hostel, but from next year, students of
2nd, 3rd, and 4th year living in the same hostel
• Single occupancy rooms have been converted to double occupancy to fit students.
• 2nd 3rd-year ke hostels are like hell.
• Gai- Bhains ghus jati hain hostels me�
• 4th year me you get single occupancy.
• Pool Table, TT room, Music room, TV room in each hostel, 72-inch Surround Sound
LED with Free Netflix�
• Washing Machine, Laundry service, LAN Ports for Internet are there
• A lot of Freedom! No curfew timings, Boys and Girls are allowed to move in and
out of each other’s hostels, no restrictions at all.
• Every hostel has its own Night Canteen
• Brews and bites, juice corner, you can get Groceries and Fruits near YP gate
• Classrooms are opened 1 week before exams for studying.
• Hiranandani is just outside the institute, which is famous for its pubs and nightlife.
# Hostel Mess:
• Food is served 4 times a day
• 2 types of a mess: Government and Private
• In 1st year, you get Private Mess
• No meal is repeated in the 1-week span
• Sweets pe fixed quantity, other items have no limit
• Each hostel has its own fest too
• Provision for Jain food is also there
• Non-Veg is made every day, but it is paid, money is deducted from the mess amount
• Ice cream is also served
• Mr. Manohar Parrikar: Chief Minister of Goa
• Mr. Nandan Nielkani: chairman of UID, ex-head of Infosys
• Mr. Kanwal Rekhi: Ex-chairman Citicorp
• Mr. Bharat Desai: American Billionare Businessman, Chairman & Founder of SYNTEL
• Brilliant students, they’re wicked smart
• IIT Bombay’s TechFest is Asia’s largest Science and Technology Festival, lot of talks
& seminars, new technologies are showcased, Bike Show, Car Expo, EDM Night
• E-Summit is the largest Entrepreneurship Summit in India
• Mood Indigo is their cultural fest, and it is the largest in Asia, Deepika
Padukone, Zakir Khan, Guru Randhawa, Shankar Mahadevan, Lost Stories have
performed here in the previous years.
Tell me, does IIT Bombay, one of the finest Institution in the country, really need a Final
Verdict? Please don’t miss this, it is a phenomenal experience to be present among the
best brains of the country.
All the Best!