Stats and Ranking:
• NIRF 2019: Ranked 5th
• Established in 1960
• 1050 Acres Campus
• By Air: 95 Kms away from Lucknow Airport
• By Railways: 16 Kms away from Kanpur Central Railway Station
Institute Fees+ Hostel Fees+ Mess Fees= Total: Rs 1,25,000
Mode of Admission:
• JEE-Main Followed by JEE-Advanced
• Apply through JoSAA Counselling
Streams offered, Seat Matrix and Cutoff:
|Aerospace Engineering – Gender Neutral||48||1854||3497|
|Aerospace Engineering -Female Only||10||4785||6292|
|Biological Sciences and Bioengineering – Gender Neutral||37||10439||11889|
|Biological Sciences and Bioengineering -Female Only||8||2152||3430|
|Chemical Engineering – Gender Neutral||74||2152||3430|
|Chemical Engineering – Female Only||16||4421||6923|
|Civil Engineering – Gender Neutral||106||3395||4681|
|Civil Engineering -Female Only||22||7451||9158|
|Computer Science and Engineering – Gender Neutral||91||95||217|
|Computer Science and Engineering -Female Only||19||479||919|
|Electrical Engineering – Gender Neutral||137||431||994|
|Electrical Engineering – Female Only||29||1365||2974|
|Materials Science and Engineering – Gender Neutral||61||3514||5188|
|Materials Science and Engineering – Female Only||13||7847||10143|
|Mechanical Engineering – Gender Neutral||107||1254||2108|
|Mechanical Engineering – Female Only||22||3390||6033|
IIT Kanpur is very famous for its Electrical Engineering.
Unique Things about IIT-Kanpur:
• A lot of Peacocks & Neelgais on the Campus❤
• IIT Kanpur is a very Green Campus & there is an Institute Nursery as well.
• 1:8 Girls-Boys Ratio
• 500+ Students can be accommodated
in a single classroom- L20
• HC Verma Sir ki legacy!�
•Only IIT in the country to have an AIRSTRIP for Aerospace Engineering of its own: 3
model planes, 1 Helipad and a Flight Laboratory
• Olympic size swimming pool.
• There is a large size stadium where cricket and athletics are played.
• Separate Hockey and football grounds.
• Wooden indoor Badminton, Table Tennis, Basketball Courts.
• Skating arena & Gym Centers.
• Lawn Tennis courts and Squash Courts as well
• Taekwondo Arena, Archery, Boxing, Bicycle & an Ultimate FRISBEE society
• Every Major company that recruits in India recruits from IIT-Kanpur.
• This year the overall Average CTC turned out to be 13 Lakh INR.
• Avg. Package of CSE fluctuates around 18-19 Lakh.
• Facebook offered the highest annual package of Rs. 1.42 crore to an IIT Kanpur
student this year. Google, on the other hand, recruited three students for an annual
package of Rs. 1 crore.
• The class timings are very flexible at IIT Kanpur. It depends on the numbers of
courses and credits assigned to each of them.
• Tough Academic curriculum and Grading is Tough: A is 10, B is 8, C is 6 & so on…
• Branch change is difficult, for CSE, you need 10 CGPA in both semesters, and for
• You can change branch after 2nd year as well, which is a unique thing here
• SURGE Research Internship is very famous, so if you want to pursue research during
UG, choose IIT Kanpur
• Interdisciplinary research is carried out in huge numbers and Research Conventions
are held annually as well
• There are 13 hostels present at IIT Kanpur
• In 1st Year, 2 seater for boys & 3 seater for girls. From 3rd year, both get Single
• No Curfew Timings at all for both Boys & Girls
• Boys and Girls can move in and out of each other’s hostels (except 12 AM- 6 AM)
• 1st year boys hostel is heaven. Very spacious and great facilities like cricket ground,
basketball court, volleyball court
• In Boys’ Hostel, 2 Beds, 1 Wooden Cupboard, 1 Open Shelf, 2 Study Tables are
present and same is the case for Girls’ Hostel, except Open Shelves.
• Common Washrooms in both the Hostels, hygiene is good
• Hostels have TV Room, Table Tennis Room, Gym and Washing Machines
• In Girls’ Hostel, there is a Gym, Library Room, TV Room and Computer Lab
• 2 Washing Machines on 1 Floor & Dhobi system is also there
• Coolers can be installed in exchange for some money, lekin 3 logon ke baad cooler
• Hostel food is healthy and hygienic but not tasty
• Fruits, Milk, Jain food, everything is available
• Non veg is also available, but you have to pay extra. It is available all 6 days a week
during Lunch and Dinner
• Breakfast: Sprouts, Milk, Bread Toast, Bournvita, etc.
• Sambhar is always available all 3 time 7 days a week
• Lunch & Dinner: Rice, Roti, 2 Sabzi/Dal
• Everyday, there is something extra like pakodas, noodles, cutlets, custard ice cream,
but this is added to your mess bill.
Why you shouldn’t join IIT-Kanpur?
• Students Exchange Programs are not very good here, if you want to go abroad for
Research Internships during College, prefer other IITs
• If you don’t like Physical Exercise, watt lagne vali hai as 1st Year me 2 days a week
• Also, you have to choose a Sport and it is mandatory to practice that sport 2 hours a
• Grading & Attendance is Professor Dependent, for some courses, Attendance
Requirement can be as high as 90%
• The P. K. Kelkar Library is one of the best academic libraries in the nation with a
collection of more than 3,00,000 volumes
• There are different activities for the students to participate in, Games and Sports,
Science & Technology, Cultural Council, everything is there. There is a Startup
Incubation & Innovation Centre as well. One never gets bored in the campus
• Takneek, Aagaz, Galaxy are the inter-hall Science, Sports and Cultural Competitions
• Fursat-Mandli, the Dramatics Club of IIT-K has won many laurels for the Institute
across the country.
• KOS, the Dance Club and the Entrepreneurship Cell is very active as well
• It has state of the art infrastructure. From labs to classrooms, everything is top
notch. Classrooms have AC, Projectors, and everything is amazing
• Dominos Pizza, CCD (very overpriced, don’t go unless you’re on a date :P) Mama Mio:
Ice Cream & Milk Shake Store
• Each hostel has its own canteen, DoAA Canteen, Chinese Eateries, Rolls Shop
• Narayan Murthy: Founder, Infosys
• Mr. Muktesh Pant: CEO, KFC
• Many Professors in MIT and Ivy League Universities
• Kumar Bhattacharyya: Manager of Google India
• Antaragni is the Annual cultural festival of IIT Kanpur, held in October. It is one of
the biggest college cultural festivals of Asia.
• Carryminati, MostlySane, DJ KSHMR & Vishal Dadlani have previously performed here.
Flagship Institute for Engineering, you’re going to spend the best 4 Years of your life here,
and you’re very assured of a very successful professional career afterwards.