Stats & Ranking:
• NIRF 2019: Ranked 4th
• Established in 1951
• 2100 Acres Campus, biggest in India!
• By Air: 140 Km away from Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport,
afterwards travel via cab or railways to reach the IIT
• By Railways: 5 Kms away from Kharagpur railway station
Institute Fee + Hostel Fees + Mess Fees: Total: Rs 1,50,450
Mode of Admission:
JEE-Main followed by JEE-Advanced
Apply through JoSAA Counselling/ CSAB Special Round
Streams offered, Seat Matrix & Cutoff
|Aerospace Engineering – Gender Neutral||30||2418||3822|
|Aerospace Engineering -Female Only||6||5752||7615|
|Agricultural and Food Engineering – Gender Neutral||32||5347||8104|
|Agricultural and Food Engineering -Female Only||7||9222||11534|
|Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering – Gender Neutral||25||4511||6312|
|Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering -Female Only||5||9424||9903|
|Chemical Engineering – Gender Neutral||54||2309||3516|
|Chemical Engineering – Female Only||11||4434||7275|
|Civil Engineering – Gender Neutral||61||3593||4955|
|Civil Engineering – Female Only||12||7926||8707|
|Computer Science and Engineering – Gender Neutral||56||204||283|
|Computer Science and Engineering – Female Only||11||520||980|
|Electrical Engineering – Gender Neutral||56||781||1417|
|Electrical Engineering -Female Only||11||2559||3443|
|Electronics and Electrical Communication Engineering – Gender Neutral||63||560||932|
|Electronics and Electrical Communication Engineering – Female Only||13||1878||2443|
|Industrial and Systems Engineering – Gender Neutral||30||2726||3785|
|Industrial and Systems Engineering -Female Only||6||7547||8060|
|Instrumentation Engineering – Gender Neutral||29||1470||2238|
|Instrumentation Engineering – Female Only||6||5857||6468|
|Manufacturing Science and Engineering – Gender Neutral||31||3880||4990|
|Manufacturing Science and Engineering – Female Only||6||9218||9545|
|Mechanical Engineering – Gender Neutral||69||1518||2259|
|Mechanical Engineering – Female Only||14||4932||6169|
|Metallurgical and Materials Engineering – Gender Neutral||43||3903||5454|
|Metallurgical and Materials Engineering -Female Only||9||8767||10112|
|Mining Engineering – Gender Neutral||42||5792||7250|
|Mining Engineering – Female Only||8||12029||12443|
|Ocean Engineering and Naval Architecture – Gender Neutral||32||5568||7112|
|Ocean Engineering and Naval Architecture – Female Only||7||12099||12443|
• Well maintained Swimming Pool
• Wooden and Concrete Badminton Courts
• Clay and Synthetic Tennis Lawns
• Basketball, Football and Cricket grounds
• Billiards, Hockey and Squash also present
• Big lush Athletic ground
• Pole vault, Javelin, Shot Put, Discus Throw
• Every major company that recruits in India recruits from IIT Kharagpur
• Median Package was 12.75 Lakh INR
• Lowest CTC was INR 8.75 LPA.
• This year the Average CTC for CSE turned out to be 20.29 Lakh INR.
• Microsoft offered highest paying packages of INR 1.5 crores.
• Flipkart, Facebook, HP, Microsoft, JP Morgan, Google were among the other top
• Adobe (12), Flipkart (14), OLA Cab (18), Goldman Sachs (19), Amazon (6),
American Express (7), Goldman Sachs (19), Larson and Toubro (10), Microsoft (16),
Oracle (16), Samsung (14), Tata steel (16) were the major recruiters in 2018.
• CBS Techno Japan(5), Deloitte USA (4), Works Application Japan (4), Microsoft USA
(3), TSMC Taiwan (3), Google USA (2), NTT Japan (2), Oracle USA (2), Visa USA (1),
Toyo engineering Japan (1), Delta electronics Japan (1) were the International
Recruiters in 2018.
• Faculty is extremely qualified, most of them hold PhDs from Foreign Universities
• Professors are always ready to help
• Known for its Research Culture
• 53 Published and 11 Granted patents in 2019
• There are 18 Hostels
• Not just hostels but “HALL OF RESIDENCES”
• Most freshers are given Lal Bahadur Shastri Hall
• It is the largest hostel in Asia with 650+ rooms
• Freshers are given Triple sharing rooms.
• Almirah, Bed, Mirror, Fan, all the basic amenities, etc. are present
• Hostels have TV/Common room, Gym, Garden & Washing machines
• Hostels have Badminton Court, Cricket and Volleyball Ground, TT room, Cycle Stand, etc.
• 24*7 electricity
• Food taste depends upon the hostel
• Hostels offer Breakfast, Lunch, Snacks & Dinner
• Quality is maintained and Food is hygienic
• Both veg and non-veg food is served
• Mess timings are very strict
• Big Library with more than 3 lakhs Books
• Eateries like Sahara, Dreamland, Vegies, Super-Duper, Tikka, Billoo’s Restaurant etc.
• Food Centers, Night Messes and Restaurants
• Both Healthcare and Counselling Center
• Stationery Shops and Banks
• Institute runs a bus service to nearby markets and railway station
• Annual cultural college fest is called SPRING FEST.
• Arman Malik, Shankar Mahadevan, Salim Sulaiman, Vishal-Shekhar, Farhan Akhtar,
Sunidhi Chauhan and Zaeden have previously performed here.
Possibly one of the best institutes in the country provides phenomenal academic and
research culture. Consider yourself lucky if you get into IIT Kharagpur.
All the Best! J