Stats & Ranking:
NIRF 2019: Ranked 46th
Established in 1960
187 Acres Campus
The nearest domestic airport is Kazi Nazrul Islam Airport. The airport is roughly 17 km
from Main entrance OF NITDGP.
By Rail :
Durgapur is connected to all the major stations of the country by express, super-fast and
passenger trains. Durgapur railway station is roughly 9 km from Main entrance of NITDGP.
By Road/Bus :
Durgapur is well connected by road with all the major cities of the country. It is situated
on NH 2 and SH 9 also passes through the city.
Institute Fee: Rs. 1,35,600
Hostel Fees+ Mess Fees: Rs. 41,200 —– Total: Rs 1,76,800
Mode of Admission:
Apply through JoSAA Counselling/ CSAB Special Round
Streams Offered and Seat Matrix:
• NIT-Durgapur has a good placement record.
• Recruiters here include the likes of Infosys, Microsoft, IBM and L&T.
• The highest package offered here was 32 LPA.
• The average package varies from department to department, & is around 6–7LPA.
• The average may be as high as 8–10 LPA for the top 20% students.
Hostel & Hostel Mess:
• 7 boys’ hostels, 5 girls’ hostels
• HALL 7 for the first years (1 room is shared by 4 people), HALL 10 for the second
and third years(1 room shared by 4 people) and HALL 8 for the final years(each one
has their own room).
• You will be given single cot, study table and cupboard
• 24×7 Internet Connection
• TT table and a carrom board is present in the common room, besides Badminton,
Basketball, Cricket and Football equipment.
• There’s a TV in the common room.
• First year boys are allowed to move out from 6 am to 6 pm. However later, its
extended upto 10 pm.
• There are dhobis, who turn up once weekly to your rooms to collect your laundry.
The bill gets added to the mess bill.
• The mess serves breakfast, lunch, snacks and dinner. The menu is decided by the
mess committee members of the respective halls.
• For Hall 11, there is a canteen on the third floor where you can buy yourself some
really good food. They have a menu comprising of 100+ items.
• Most have ongoing research(Projects from the Indian Government, the French
government, BARC, ISRO are being headed by some of the Professors of NIT-
• If you want to do research projects, it is encouraged and most of them are more
than willing to go the extra mile.
• So, an extremely talented pool of teachers, well versed in their domain of
expertise is here to cater to the needs of students.
• Mr. B. Sumant: Managing Director, ITC Infotech
• Mr. Pankaj Baliga: Vice President -Tata Consultancy services
• Mr. Nilotpal Ray: Managing Director, Indian Iron and Steel company
• Library , banks, guest house, proper medical facility and a counselling center is
present for the students.
• B/L Cafe , Wonder Cafe , Nescafe , Roy Restaurant , Chitrangani , Chandu Tea Stall
• Some hostels have attached playgrounds
• Major games include -cricket , table tennis , lawn tennis , basketball , football ,
badminton , volleyball
• Martial arts
Miscellaneous: • NIT-Durgapur’s annual fest is Recstasy.
• Shirley Setia, Benny Dayal & The Local Train have performed here.
• Temperature is around 26-38o C in summers, and in winter, it is 10-26oC.
• The campus resides in the city area, you can find some good cafes and restaurants
in the city.