Stats & Ranking:
NIRF 2019: Ranked 19th
Established in 1961
1200 Acres Campus, 2nd Largest, comes after IIT Kharagpur
No good route to NIT Rourkela, Odisha, closest airport is Ranchi, which is 222 km. So, no
Rourkela is well connected by train routes with all parts of the country. It is situated on
the Howrah-Mumbai line and as well as on Ranchi-Bhubaneswar line. Rourkela railway
station is situated 7 km away from the NIT campus.
Rourkela is connected to various towns of the state by State Highway 10 and National
Highway 23. Thus, it is also connected with cities like Ranchi, Raipur, Sambalpur etc.
Several buses ply between Rourkela and the major cities of the state like Bhubaneswar,
Puri, Sambalpur etc.
Mode of Admission:
Apply through JoSAA Counselling/ CSAB Special Round
NIT Rourkela also offers a 5 year B.Tech+ M.Tech Dual Degree Course in Ceramic,
Metallurgical, Mining and Chemical Engineering.
Institute Fee: Rs. 1,01,500
Hostel Fees+ Mess Fees: Rs. 22,500 —–Total: Rs, 1,24,000—-
Streams Offered and Seat Matrix:
Highest package offered at NIT Rourkela: Rs. 42 lakhs by Adobe
Average Package for Software Profiles: Rs. 9.5 LPA
Average Package for Non-Software Profiles: Rs. 6 LPA
Amazon, Bharat Petroleum, DE Shaw(26.5 LPA), Deloitte, Goldman Sachs(14 LPA),
Intel, Maruti Suzuki, Microsoft(21 LPA), PWC, Qualcomm(14 LPA) & Zomato(22 LPA)
were the major recruiters in the season 2019-20.
• Ordinary faculty, however, some Professors are really good.
• Mr. Pradeep Sarkar of Civil Department is quite famous among his students.
• Some profs. are very friendly while some are very rude and arrogant.
• Marking depends from professor to professor!
Hostel & Hostel Mess:
• Vikram Sarabhai Hall of Residence is the largest hostel in India. Second largest
in the entire Asia.
• In the 1st & 2nd year, you get a double seater room. In Year 3 & 4, you get a
single seater room.
• Essentials like cupboard, study table, Internet, etc. is there in every room.
• Every Hostel has a Badminton Court, Volleyball Court, Common Room
equipped with an LED TV, Table Tennis & Carrom.
• Each hostel has a night canteen & stationery shop.
• In Hostel Mess, Breakfast, Lunch, Snacks & Dinner is provided.
• Food is average here. However, students generally rely on Night canteen
(which has tea, snacks & Maggi) for survival.
• If you’re Non-Vegetarian, you get it 6 days a week, which is not the case with
most of the hostels in India.
Note: You’ll easily find many videos of the Hostel Rooms on YouTube. If you’re curious,
have a look at them!
• Sandip Das (1978, Mechanical): Ex-MD and CEO of Reliance Jio Ex-CEO
• CP Gurnani (1986, Chemical): CEO and MD of Tech Mahindra.
• Ajit Andhare (1995, Mechanical): COO of Viacom 18 Motion Pictures.
• Priyadarshi Mohapatra (1994, Chemical): Country General Manager, Microsoft.
All in all, a good alum base, and thus, you should make the most out of NIT-R by
networking with as many people as possible.
Points to Note:
- Syllabus is very well designed to meet the present industrial techniques and is
- Rourkela has no McD, KFC & Pizza Hut. You have to rely on Domino’s.
- NIT-R has Hexagon Restaurant, Jo’z kitchen, Dosa Plaza, Mokshaa Express and
an Amul store as well.
- Rourkela has many good restaurants – Central Park & Madhuban are good for
casual hang-outs with friends.
- NIT-R has a superb sporting infrastructure opposite to the Halls of Residence.
- NIT-R has an Olympic size Swimming Pool, Central Gym, Football Stadium, and
Cricket Ground. All the grounds and stadiums are equipped with flood lights.
- 2 Basketball courts, 3 Tennis courts (hard courts), a Hockey Stadium, which is
used to play football and host celebrities for musical nights and a Volleyball
Arena as well.
• NIT-R’s annual fest is Innovision. Sunidhi Chauhan, Gajendra Verma & DJ Olly
Esse have performed here.
• Attendance is a major headache here. It is 85%. If it is less than 85%, students
get grade backs and year backs in that particular subject.
• Weather is very extreme here. In summers, the temperature reaches 49–50°c.
In winters, the temperature goes to 5°c. It rains a lot here during monsoon!